Removing an AWS account from your organization
From time to time you may have a reason to remove an AWS account from your organization. The process is unfortunately tedious.
Before you begin this process, note well that AWS enforces a waiting period of “a few days” (which they really do neglect to specify more precisely) between an account joining an organization, whether by invitation or creation, and that account leaving the organization. If you're met with this error (or you know you will be), do what it says and try again in a few days.
- 2.Leave “Root user” selected
- 3.Enter the email address of the account (which you can find in
substrate.accounts.txtor by the rules below)
- If you're closing an account that
substrate create-accountcreated, the email address is the same as you used for your management account with “+domain-environment-quality” appended to the local part
- If you're closing an account you invited into your organization, the email address is unchanged from what it was before it joined the organization
- 4.Click Next
- 5.Click Forgot password?
- 6.Respond to the captcha and click Send email
- 7.Open the link emailed to you in an incognito window
- 8.Reset the password and, after that's finished, click Sign in
- 9.Sign in using that same email address and the password you just set
- 11.Click Leave organization
- 12.Confirm; click Leave organization again
- 13.Click Complete the account sign-up steps
- 14.Provide payment information
- 15.Verify your phone number
- 16.Select the free support plan
- 17.When returned to the AWS Organizations console, click Leave organization again and confirm